Sunday, March 6, 2011

Happy 6 Months, Little Girl

My sweet baby. She is 6 months old! (Well, actually 6 months and 1 week to date.) It is hard to believe. Yes, everyone says that, but it is very true. I blinked and my little newborn grew into her 16lb. 13oz. 26in long little self! She is still in the 50th percentile for both her weight and height. She is right on track developmentally - Thank you, God!! Received a perfectly healthy report from her doctor on Thursday. What a blessing!

I want to record what is going on in Audrey's life at this age. So this may be long (and boring!) but I want to remember as many details as possible. So if you are reading, this could get lengthy!

Everything seems to change so fast. In the last 3 weeks we have introduced pears, sweet potatoes, carrots, and green beans. None seem to have raving reviews from the little munchkin. She prefers rice cereal over baby food, and her bottle over anything else! She will get the hang of eating her baby food eventually. If anything, it is very entertaining for me and Andrew! Andrew cannot stand for her to be dirty. When he feeds her he is constantly wiping her face, hands, neck, etc. I just laugh. Pointless! But whatever he prefers...I hate to be told how to do things the "right" way. Oh opinions, opinions....you love 'em and you hate 'em!
Here is a peak of green beans from tonight. I think she probably likes these the least. I don't blame her. It smelled terrible!!
Audrey is taking three naps a day. Well, three if we are lucky. ;) She usually takes one long nap (about 2 hrs.) and two, one hour naps. She is becoming not quite as flexible as she was when she was smaller when it comes to sleeping. She has to be swaddled and fed before she will go to sleep. She will sleep in the car (thankfully) but our time on the road is in very small increments. She sleeps best in her bed. I hope this does not mean she will always be this way....but you get desperate when you can't get a child to go to sleep! You do whatever it takes.

Her pediatrician said we had to start weaning her off the miracle blanket. (Miracle blanket = Audrey's swaddling blanket; aka, the best blanket in the whole world! It is a blanket used to swaddle newborns and they cannot get out of it. Which means they sleep!) Well, Audrey is STILL in hers. I do not know exactly what the miracle blanket company was thinking only making one size, but how do you go from swaddling to not swaddling? They need to reconsider only making one size. But anyway...bunny trail....
I have been loosening the blanket the last few days. Last night I made it SUPER loose. Well, at 5:45 this morning, she was crying and all out of her blanket. Then it hit me. This was so dumb. I wrapped her back up. Like she is going to have to be swaddled the rest of her life?? I don't think so. And she went right back to sleep. So oh well! We are going to keep swaddling! And, by the way, I have tried other swaddling blankets that are bigger. They do not work as well! FYI.

Audrey has started something new. (Really?? I know everyone is shocked. Ha.) The only way I know how to describe it is, well, I don't know. Here is a little video. I finally got it recorded! So cute.

She does this all the time. Once she starts, she does it for what seems like forever. hehe. That is her doll, Sarah, in the video. Her Grandmommy Sarah gave that to her for Christmas. It is her first baby doll. So sweet.

Audrey loves music. She has a little keyboard that she plays with all the time. She loves to watch Andrew play guitar also. She is just captivated by his playing. It is so cute. I love to watch her learn and discover new things. Over the past few weeks it is as if she has literally opened her eyes to this new world she has been living in for 5 months or so. Everything is so exciting and new. She laughs more and more as the weeks go on, and responds and interacts with people more than ever.

We have been so blessed to have a baby that has slept through the night since she was 7 weeks old. She still has her nights that I have to get up with her, but I can probably count them on less than two hands. So I truly, truly empathize with the parents who have children that do not sleep through the night. Sleep is my new favorite thing. :) However, about a month ago, Audrey has started crying out in the night. Not a full-blown crying spell where she doesn't stop crying. Just a "Wahh. Wahh." every few seconds or so and she eventually stops. Usually she is still asleep while doing it. This isn't every night, but it is frequent throughout the week. So I wake up, but I don't have to stay up. So that is a plus. According to her pediatrician, she has started developing separation anxiety. She is starting to realize that Mommy and Daddy are not around and she wants us to comfort her. I studied up on this while I was pregnant. That is why I have tried my very best to put Audrey down to sleep awake. I have tried to teach her how to fall asleep while still being awake so that when she did start to develop separation anxiety, she would know how to go to sleep on her own. And for those of you who know me really well, you know that is why I do not rock her. (Gasp! No rocking?? Yes, I do not rock her. Big deal, I still love my child. Ha.) So, maybe I have been partially successful? But the kid is addicted to swaddling, so I am not sure that is much different than rocking. Who knows?

I am questioning the separation anxiety thing though. Maybe during the night she has it. But not during the day! I am still not sure she knows that I am her mom. I love that she is so friendly and doesn't fuss when other people hold her. That is wonderful. I want to be able to leave her with family and friends so that I can have some "me" time or go on a date with Andrew. But sometimes, it would just be nice if she would acknowledge me and Andrew, haha. I know, I know, it's coming. And for those of you who have past this stage, you think I'm crazy. But my child rarely cries. So when she does cry, I want to be the one to comfort her. And I want her to want her mommy. If she is crying or fussy, she is REALLY upset. So my heart is to save the day. To rescue her from being hungry or sleepy. Ok, ok I am being silly. Just honest!! By kid #3 this probably won't even be an issue. I'll want to pull my hair out probably. But for now, I am all hers and she is all mine. And I like it that way. My little princess. (Sigh.) She is so amazing.

The weather has been very nice lately so we have been going on some stroller rides! Audrey really loves being outside....as long as the sun is not in her eyes! I need to find her some baby sunglasses. Her little friend Lance has some sunglasses. (They are 3 weeks a part).


Her favorite toys:
Sarah, baby doll
Love Bug, her lady bug stuffed animal - It has "Love Bug" on it's tummy
Rattle
Benny, her bird toy that is soft and plush and vibrates when you pull on him
...Really anything she can put in her mouth!

Audrey does not have teeth yet. Her doctor said she doesn't see any either. So looks like it will be a little while longer before we see any teeth coming in! That may change night time, huh?? :)

She is reaching for EVERYTHING. At meal times I let her chew on one of her spoons. I want her to know the spoons go in her mouth. She likes those. She is not really into teething rings. If they are not cold, she will play with them. But I have decided she really doesn't like cold things in her mouth too much. She will have to get used to that I guess. One thing she loves is Andrew's facial hair. He usually has a beard or some sort of scruffy-ness to him. (I tell him he looks hot when he is scruffy, hehe.) He has the neat, trimmed scruffy/beard. Not the "rough-around-the-edges-I-don't-know-how-to-groom-myself" scruffy. Or the "no-shave-november" beard. Gross, he has done that before and it doesn't look so good. (No offense, sweetheart! Muah!) Ok, another bunny trail....back on track...
So she loves his beard. She will put both hands on his face and touch all over it. I guess it feels funny to her. She will always know her daddy by his beard.

I think it is neat how we know the ones we love so well. I hope Audrey knows me and Andrew by our smells. It sounds weird, but I don't mean it gross. My mom and dad have a smell. I could pick them out of a hundred people. Not a bad smell. It's my mommy and daddy's smell. They belong to me. Andrew has a smell. Audrey has a smell. We are all unique. When Audrey is sick in the middle of the night and all she wants is me or Andrew by her side, she will feel us and smell us and it will make her feel better. I remember moments like that when I was little. Those feelings and smells are comforting. I want to give that to her.
Am I weird? Am I the only one who has "smell" memories?

Grandmommy was singing to Audrey the other day. It brought back such strong feelings of when I was a little girl. I don't really remember specific times when Grandmommy would sing to me, but I remember her voice. It is like it is embedded deep inside of me. It is comforting. There is something so special about a grandmother's love. It is unique in it's own way. I love that Grandmommy is passing that on to my little girl. And I love that Audrey is named after her. (Grandmommy Sarah - Audrey Sarah.) And the new grandparents will give her their own unique ways of loving her too. I love our familes and I love that we have so many wonderful people to love my little princess. I feel as if I am the most blessed person to have all that I do. These are things that money could never buy.

I guess that is a good note to end this post. I know I have forgotten things to say, but there is always another blog for another day. So Happy 6 Months Old, Little Girl. Mommy loves you. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment