Saturday, December 3, 2011

A little scary, a lesson on peace, and 15 months old

I have been learning a lot about peace in this season in my life. God is really teaching me how to keep my peace no matter what my circumstances may be. I am learning that it is a choice. I can choose to be worried, upset, angry - whatever the case may be - or I can choose to let His peace reign in my life. When something happens that would normally discourage me, I am reminded that I have access to the peace of God, and He is in control of everything in my life. He is my provider, my healer, my strength, always faithful and loving. I haven't been perfect at this, and still let things get the best of me, but I am constantly reminded that the peace of God is given freely to me, and I make a choice to let it rule in my life. I almost feel like when I let go of what is bothering me, I allow God's peace inside, and I believe that my faith in God is strengthened at that point. I think this will always be a learning process, as is most everything, but I am glad to know that He loves me no matter what. Having said that, we had an incident last night that really put keeping my peace to the test. It was hard.

Last night Audrey woke up screaming around 10:30. I ran to her room, picked her up and I knew immediately that she had a fever. She continued crying as I took her temperature. My stomach did a flip when I read the thermometer:  103.4. My first thought was that we were going to the ER. This is was the first time she had ever had high fever, and I just simply didn't know what to do. Andrew calmed me down as he is usually the calm one no matter what the circumstance may be. I frantically looked through the medicine cabinet for tylenol. We didn't have any, but we did have IB profen, so I gave her that. I called my best friend who used to work for Audrey's pediatrician. She told me what to do, which gave me peace of mind and we went from there. Then Audrey started throwing up. Andrew put her in the lukewarm bath, and I was headed out to get tylenol. Would you believe that pharmacies around here close at 10pm??? I thought they were 24/7. Good info to know!! So I had to go to Wal-Mart to get tylenol. I was shocked at how crowded it was at 11pm on a Friday night. I even asked this man who was with his little girl if I could break in line. He was very kind and let me go ahead of him. Audrey seemed much better when I got home. She was sitting on the couch watching Praise Baby. I gave her the tylenol, and minutes later she threw up again. This time it was on the couch...wow, does that stuff stink. I guess the couch cushion covers could use a good washing anyway. I gaver her another bath, and afterwords she played and continued to watch Praise Baby. We thought it was over. She seemed fine and her temperature was 99.2. We get her ready for bed again, sang her Jesus Love Me, and as we were about to put her in her bed, she threw up again. Great. I knew we were probably going to be in for a long night. We undressed her again, bathed her again, and sat her down in front of the tv to watch Praise Baby. By this point you could tell she was starting to get tired again.

I went to do some research on why she could be sick. Earlier that day she had received her 15 month vaccine (DTaP) and the flu shot. This would be the 4th time for her to get the DTaP so I thought it was odd for her to be having these reactions that had not happened in the past. My friend had also told me that high fever and vomitting were not usually side effects from the shots. I ended up calling the Pediatrics floor at ECM for more answers. I talked to this very sweet nurse and she helped me know what to do from that point. Audrey ended up vomitting again, and thankfully that was the last time. We waited almost an hour and half before we put her to bed for the night to make sure she was not going to get sick again. We were all in bed by 2am. I did not sleep well at all. I checked on her every hour. That nurse told me she had to sleep diaper only with no blankets. I just couldn't do that do her, so I put a t shirt on her and let her snuggle with one of her muslin blankets because it is very lightweight and a breathable cotton material. She slept until 7am, and we were out the door by 8 to go to her doctor. She seemed much better. Doctor said he believes it is a virus and just a coincidence that she got her shots the same day. However, since she did not test positive for the flu and her blood count was normal, he said there is a possibility she had a reaction to the Pertussis vaccine. For cautionary measures, she will not be getting that particular vaccine again.

What a scary, interesting night. I have never felt so frightened for my child. I am also so thankful for my husband. I told him we make a good team. :) I really don't know how single moms do it. I admire all the single moms out there. That has to be the hardest job to do it all by yourself. My heart goes out to them. Andrew did all the laundry that had throw up on it...which seemed like most all of our towels, a bed spread, blankets, couch cusion covers, clothes, etc. I think I gave Audrey 4 baths last night. I think the throw up smell is still embedded in my nose. ;)

She has kept all food and liquids down today. She has played like she normally does. I put her down for a nap around 12 today. I always sing her a song and hold her for a few minutes before I lay her down. She went right to sleep on my shoulder, and didn't wake up when I laid her down in her bed. Andrew and I went to bed and slept 2 1/2 hours. We woke Audrey up after it had been 3 1/2 hours. I wanted her to still sleep tonight.  She did not want to wake up, bless her little heart. She had such a rough night. It is so hard to see her suffer like that. I am so thankful for the blood of Jesus that heals and gives us peace. He is so faithful. I am also so thankful for all of our friends and family that are here supporting, loving, and praying for us. What a blessing.

On another note, Audrey weighed 22lbs and is 30" long. She is in the 25 percentile for both her weight and height. She is a little behind on her words the doctor said. She'll get there evenutally. We are also going to have to brush her teeth 2-3 times a day now. She has these yellow half moon spots on the bottom of her teeth which are prone to decay easily. This is something that happened when her teeth were forming in the womb. Ha, just had a funny thought - I had sour candy everyday I was pregnant...I wonder if that was bad for her teeth that were forming??! LOL, I am tickled at myself. Ok, probably a "far, out-there" thought. ;)

I'm off to bed. Thankful Audrey is sleeping soundly with her blankets and Fluffy. Night night, Little Girl. Mommy loves you. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment