He is here!!! Charlie Andrew Lawrence was born August 23rd at 10:30am. He weighed 8 pounds, 8 ounces and is 20 3/4 inches long. We are so thankful he is here safe and healthy!
Charlie's Birth Story
Throughout my pregnancy, I had specific things I was praying and believing for concerning this labor and delivery. One of the most important -aside from healthy baby- being able to go into labor on my own. I really wanted my water to break naturally. I had to be induced with Audrey and really did not want to have to go that route again. I also was praying for a quick, easy labor and delivery.
I was so discouraged those few days before my induction date. I just couldn't understand why things were not changing. I really cannot explain it now looking back, but I am glad everything went the way it did.
Once my doctor broke my water at the hospital, I went from 4cm to 9cm in an hour. From that point, everything went by so quickly. We were literally waiting for my doctor to make it to the hospital so that I could push. After five minutes of pushing, we welcome our sweet Charlie into the world. Looking back, I wonder what would have happened had my water broke on its own. Because I progressed so quickly, I can't help but wonder what would have happened. Also, Andrew is working 30 minutes away from our house. What if he would not have made it??? God is so faithful and good to me. I definitely received the "quick and easy" part of my prayers. So thankful!
And what a big, healthy boy he is! All 8 1/2 pounds of him. I have to brag, I guessed his height and weight correctly. I did say 20 inches long and not 20 3/4 inches, but close enough. Andrew's weight guess was 9 pounds, 4 ounces. I'm glad I was right!
Charlie did have to be on oxygen for an hour after I delivered. I had to wear an oxygen mask most of my laboring time, and he still needed it after delivery. I was not expecting that, although I think it is not unusual. Needless to say, I was really upset. Thankfully he was just fine.
At around 6-7 months pregnant, I started hearing a "clicking/sucking" noise coming from my belly. I asked my doctor and he said it was probably Charlie sucking his hands. He said he has seen babies' hands that have come out with bruises from them sucking so hard. Charlie did not have bruises, but he certainly has a strong sucking reflex! Much stronger than I remember with Audrey. He also must have a paci. Audrey would not take a paci, so this is new to us.
Audrey was very curious about her brother. She was very sweet to him and would gently touch him. She did not want to hold him though. We got her a gift from Charlie, and that seemed to really help smooth things over.
Below:
Audrey will not smile for the camera.
Below:
Audrey being bribed to smile. Teehee.
Mr. Charlie is loved by so many! We are adjusting well at home, although it has been more difficult than I think I prepared myself for. I could not do this without family helping. We also had Audrey's birthday this past Tuesday (27th) and a party for her on Saturday the 31st. There is no possible way I could have pulled off a party for Audrey without my husband and our families! I am so blessed and thankful.
(A special thanks to my dear, sweet friend Tara with Authenticity Photography for taking pictures for us in the delivery room! What a priceless gift that we will always treasure.)

So glad to rehearse those moments again. Charlie is so sweet; there are no adequate words to describe it! Thanks for keeping this blog.
ReplyDelete